Monday, February 9, 2015

Pretrip- by Kathleen O'Connell

As I embark on my journey to Ornskoldsvik, Sweden to compete in the U18 Scandinavian Cup Trip, I have a lot to prepare for. Preparing for international travel is no easy task, and preparing to compete and ski internationally is even harder. There was a long list of things I had to do, and miraculously, I got them all done in time. Packing was probably the longest and most tedious task I had.

 

Athletically, I had to organize a specific training plan with my coaches. This training plan accommodated to my travel plans and when I should be peaking. I raced in the CU invitational collegiate ski race, in Steamboat Springs, the 23rd and 24th in order to keep the intensity of my training high. I also did strength about two times a week up until I left along with other distance skis and intervals.

Mental preparation has also been very important for my trip to Sweden. I can’t say I’m not nervous going into this competition, but I’m also very excited. I try not to focus on the things that make me nervous, and only the things that make me excited, which isn’t very hard. I’ve always loved exploring the world, and it’s pretty cool I get to do that through skiing. I’m looking forward to making new friends, meeting skiers from other countries, gaining international racing experience, and of course, missing school. However, none of this would be possible without the support from my parents, coaches, teammates, and especially the National Nordic Foundation. Huge thanks to the NNF for making my goals become a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment